Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Manly Log Cabin

  Well, this has been quite a week.  I'm officially in the pre-Christmas frenzy of finishing up making gifts, shopping, and trying to wrap up things at work for a nice long 11-day vacation (Hallelujah!).  But I've also been trying to be sure to make time to still spend quality time with my husband and son, since that's what the season is all about!

  For our Triad Modern Quilt Guild meeting last Tuesday, we had a potluck and handmade ornament swap. It was so fun to be able to chat with the ladies, and the variety of the ornaments was amazing!  This is the one I made, modeled on our tree:


  It turned out much bigger than I had planned in my head, but the recipient seemed to really like it, so I'm happy with it.  I also really liked the one I got!

  In addition to a few other gifts which I haven't been able to get decent pictures of yet, I also finished the "manly" log cabin for my father-in-law.  I wish I had gotten some pictures of the his-and-hers quilts together before they were washed and wrapped, but that just means I can force them to model them for me :)  Watch out for some funky pics, these were taken near sunset with crazy winds.


  I am really happy with how this one turned out, even though it is so different from my normal style.  I like the traditional colors with the traditional pattern, and it's always nice to work outside of your comfort zone.  I debated quilting thread colors for ages, and then when wandering around the fabric store, I found a tan-burgundy-navy variegated thread.  It blends in perfectly - it was meant to be! 


  The back is a solid navy blue flannel, which makes this quilt extra warm and snuggly.  I think my father-in-law will appreciate that, as he is diabetic and constantly complains about being cold.  I can't wait to give my in-laws their quilts on Christmas Eve!


  I still have to finish a few other projects, but shopping and most of the wrapping is done.  I'm hoping I'll actually be able to relax the last couple of days before Sunday - doubtful, but we'll see!

  Hope that everyone has a great week leading into Christmas!


1 comment:

  1. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas Jen. I hope your book arrived :-)

    ReplyDelete