Wednesday, May 2, 2012

WIP Wednesday - aka I'm Back!


Well, mostly back.  Sewing time is still much slower than I’d like.  But I have been busy over the last couple of months working on my latest WIP, which is….

Baby #2!

Yep – my little blond goober is going to be a big brother in October.  He tells me that it’s a girl and he wants to name it “Buck.”  Ah the thought process of a 2 ½ year old.

My first trimester left me completely exhausted. All.the.time.  I considered it pretty exciting to be able to stay up past 8:00pm.  Unfortunately, that’s when my son goes to bed, so I had no sewing time.  Now that I’m further along, I have loads more energy but am on physical restrictions from the doc that keep me from doing too much.  Not much of a problem for sewing except that I can’t crawl around on the floor to baste quilts, and my biggest sewing to-do list is completing a bunch of tops!  Looks like I’m going to have to figure out that table method of basting.

I did break the rules once to baste this quilt.  Luckily my hubby was willing to do a lot of the work.  This is my crazy HST scrap quilt.







I love it; just don’t look too closely at some of the mismatchy points!  The are no repeated fabrics and it’s all from stash, except for the backing fabric which I got for less than $4/yard.  The backing is from Hancock’s M'Liss collection, and actually has a nice heavy weight to it which made it really easy to quilt.



It doesn’t have binding yet, as I can’t figure out the best one from my stash.  I don’t want anything too crazy so I’ll probably be boring and go with a solid.

Also, I finished this easy peasy quilt top for the new baby.  Since this will be a fall baby and we don’t know the gender yet I thought Little Apples was appropriate.  There is also a cute teal bird print, but I’m not sure who the designer is.  The pattern is the Charm Squares Baby Quilt from Elizabeth Hartman, which is a great free pattern.  I actually made this pattern for a friend’s baby last year and didn’t want to give it away, now I have my own :)  At least this one I can baste it on the kitchen table!



We are also in the process of rearranging our house (slowly) to get ready for the baby, so beware of future house project posts.  Our 3rd bedroom is currently our den/sewing/office, and all of that is going to have to go to make a nursery.  We’ve already moved a desk into the living room, and now I’m looking for some type of sewing table/cart that can also go in there.  Losing my huge sewing space is going to be tough.  I feel like October is both really far away and really soon considering the huge list of projects to get us more baby-ready!

Linking up to WIP Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Your scrap quilt is amazing! I can't wait until my stash is big enough to do something like this - it's getting there :)

    And congratulations on baby #2 - get ready, it's quite a roller coaster with two little ones at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That scrap quilt is beautiful! It looks really cozy too. Congrats on the baby - I love the idea of gender neutral baby things whether you know the baby's gender or not. Your little quilt is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric in your baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete