Sunday, October 23, 2011

This is Halloween (the Quilty Version)

Halloween is a big deal around here. My husband used to be the manager of a party store, so we have a TON of decorations. Our house is “that” house when it’s time for trick-or-treating, and we get people from several neighborhoods away. So, when I started getting really into quilting last year, I knew I had to make a Halloween quilt for the couch.

I had seen a ton of lovely zigzag quilts online, but they were mostly in pastel or bright colors. I thought, why not orange and black? I found the wonderful no-triangle tutorial at crazy mom quilts, which makes a small lap size, perfect to hang on the back of the couch.



I used Kona black and a bunch of Halloween prints from Joann’s (40% off sale of course). One of them was even this cute Hello Kitty print!

I had just taken a beginner free motion quilting class at the LQS, and wanted to try that out. To make things a little easier, I stabilized the quilt first by quilting the printed zigzags ¼ inch inside the seams on both sides. Then I got brave and free-motioned watery lines in the black zigzags. Not too shabby for a first try! And it makes a fun (and slightly seizure-inducing) pattern on the back.



For the binding, I pretty much cheated and folded over the back. But I liked the polka dots so don’t report me to the quilt police!! All in all I’m pretty happy with this one, and my husband and son love it too. Success!


With the leftover prints, I was able to make a table runner and a Halloween-themed Scottie Dog (with a few other scraps thrown in).








So this year our living room is ready for Halloween! Still, it couldn’t hurt to start a few more fall-themed projects…

No comments:

Post a Comment